Tutorial Tuesday*: Avocado Hair Mask
Is your hair suffering from winter weather and indoor heating? Especially after I got back from Arizona, mine was noticeably dry and frizzy, but I was shocked how much softer and silkier this homemade deep conditioner made it. Better hair is the perfect way to celebrate the transition to spring, don’t you think?
*Yeah, I realize that it’s Wednesday, not Tuesday. But I missed Tuesday and I didn’t want to wait until next week to post this tutorial!
Plastic shower cap
1/3 to 1/2 of a ripe avocado
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp honey
1.5 tsp jojoba oil
1.5 tsp almond oil
1. Cut up your avocado, place the chunks in a bowl, and mash it up really well with a fork or masher. This pretty avocado is kind of a lie–it’s not the one I used. The one I used had been sitting, cut open, in the fridge for a week and was all brown and mushy and I wasn’t going to eat it. But I cut the gross parts off and it made a great hair mask!
2. Add the lemon juice, honey, jojoba oil, and almond oil. Mix well. (It is totally unnecessary to be exact with these measurements. The first time I made this I just dumped everything in the bowl without measuring at all.)
3. Comb your dry hair, and spread it all over your locks, especially the ends. Finger-comb through to distribute evenly. No pictures of this, ’cause it ain’t pretty!
4. Put on a plastic shower cap and find something to do for at least 30 minutes.
5. Rinse the avocado mask out of your hair, and shampoo and condition as normal.
6. Admire your silken locks.
Looking for more tutorials and DIY projects? Check out my What I Made page!